Monday, May 16, 2011

Ferris Wheel for DWM

Isn't this a cute block? It's called Ferris Wheel and I fell in love with it several years ago. I made 24 blocks then, probably, some other project beckoned and I put them and all their parts and pieces in a box on a shelf. You've done that before, right? Well, I found it the other say and decided to work on it again--I'm obviously in a 30s frame of mind lately.

Decided I needed to make 15 more blocks for a 7 x 9 layout. It's a tricky little block to put together and since I made the 6" version rather than the 12" version, it was pretty tedious but worth it!

I plan to put white sashing with 30s cornerstones in all different colors then do some applique treatment on the borders and probably have a wavy or scalloped border. It would make a darling baby quilt that way, wouldn't it? Perhaps for a future grandchild? (I understand from my 25 y/o daughter that I won't have to wait more than a couple of years. . !)

Don't forget to check out all the other beautiful projects on Judy's blog!

9 comments:

Vicki H. said...

Love it and I have a similar block to work on this week in my Victory quilt book. I am doing 6 inch blocks and love the size but they are tedious!! Your quilt is great.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love the 30's and the block!
glen

Jane said...

I've always loved thirties type quilts. Love yours! It does look complicated. Your idea is great for a baby quilt!

LuAnn said...

I have a 30s quilt started...makes me want to pull it out and work on it. Love the block you are doing.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Your blocks are beautiful. Love your color combinations.

Angie in SoCal said...

Those blocks are so pretty, Diane. It's going to make a lovely baby quilt.

Jennifer Woo said...

Nice blocks!! had a busy day at work today but I am so looking forward to my retreat. I will be envious of yours also!! You are going with people you know as I am going on my own so I think you will have a lot more fun but mine will be fun also. I enjoy meeting people. The project ideas were very simple, more like begining projects (strip quilts and charm square quilts) so I think I am going to work on Florabunda and just power it out!!

Debbie said...

One of the first fat quarter sets I ever bought was 30's prints...haven't touched them for almost 15 years...seeing your post makes me think I really should pull those out of my stash!

Gari in AL said...

Those are great looking blocks: I haven't seen them before. And it will be a very bright quilt for your future grandchild.