Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 9 Stash Report

These are the blocks my small quilting group is working on for a quilt to donate to the Sutter Hospital Breast Cancer Quilt Auction. Held once every 3 years, a couple hundred quilts are donated and displayed for a silent auction for the month of October in the halls of the 5-story cancer center in Sacramento, California. The live auction is the first Saturday of November and over $100,000 is raised for this worthy cause.

The blocks you see here will be cut in 4 equal pieces and rearranged into new blocks before being assembled into a quilt. I'll show it to you in September before it's donated to the auction. We call it "Hearts for Hope".

So this week I used 1.5 yards for this project, 2 yards for the Civil War quilt I'm working on and .25 yd for the BOM (from Bunny Hills).

I also bought 5.25 yards of fabric for said projects--(boy it's hard to be good on this stash report stuff!!)

Fabric purchased this week: 5.25
Fabric purchased year to date: 55.25 yards
Fabric used this week: 3.75 yards
Fabric used year to date: 45.75 yards
Net used: -9.75 yards

So, how did you do on Judy's stash report blog?

Monday, February 28, 2011

UFO #10 Completed!

I finished this skirt early in February and have worn it a couple of times. I altered the pattern to narrow the gores and added pockets. The stretchy red and black fabric feels great!

The #1 for March will not be as easy to finish but I'm committed to Judy's great UFO Challenge so, I'll do it!

You can view my UFO list here.

New Blocks and a Challenge!

I started a new quilt! I figure I've completed so many projects lately I'm due. My husband, the Civil War buff, agreed that he needed me to make him a quilt with Civil War reproductions for the 150th Anniversary of the beginning of this historic conflict.
I didn't have a square of CW fabric in my extensive stash so you know what that meant. . . . I got to buy fabric!!! I found a beautiful fat quarter tower celebrating the CW anniversary by Julie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics in Nancy Rink's booth at the Road to California quilt show and fell in love. Of course, it didn't help my "Stashbuster" numbers. . .This represents half the number of 9 1/2" blocks I need for the quilt. I plan several borders, probably a pieced one and maybe an applique one. It's
going to be a magnum opus!

I also can now show the Challenge quilt I finished for my quilt guild. The theme is "Bloomin' Fun" and we had to use the border fabric and the green you see in the middle. I saw this idea in a recent issue of Quilters Newsletter. I spent hours cutting and fusing each of those 1/4" to 1/2" 'mosaic' pieces to the background. Trouble is, they started suddenly coming off!!! I tried gluing a few back but that didn't work and I didn't want to machine sew them because it would have ruined the 'tile' effect. So I was forced to put a piece of fine, black tulle over the top and machine stitch around each piece! Tedious and time-consuming and I think the effect damages the idea but, it is what it is. It measures 20" x 30".

Drop by Judy's site and see what everyone else is up to, quilting-wise!