Monday, May 2, 2011

DWM: My "A-word" Love Affair

People talk about "the A-word" like its a scary ogre or a disease. I shared that opinion through 3 applique classes over the years where the method and outcome produced a less than desirable outcome. Then I found the freezer paper and starch method and an obsession was born! I'm currently working on 4 applique projects including a Bunny Hill Design BOM pictured here. This is the 4th block of a 10-month series and I'm going to love this fall-themed quilt.



At my quilt guild meeting last week, I signed up for a class in August. The quilt we'll be making is a wall-sized Tennessee Waltz which has 4 large blank areas for fancy quilting or a fussy-cut fabric. I've decided to use 30s fabrics and prepare 4, 'basket-of-fruit' applique blocks to put in the spaces instead. Besides the baskets that will measure 6" across, I need 8 leaves, and 8 each of a penny-sized circle, a quarter-sized circle and one in-between those sizes. By the time you read this, they will be cut out and ready to sew.

I'm also appliqueing 150 leaves on borders of the "Civil War Anniversary" quilt I'm making for my Civil War-buff DH commemorating the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War and making the "Flight of Fancy" pattern below.

If you think of applique as "the A-word", don't give up! There are a lot of different methods you can learn!
Don't miss at all the other fabulous projects by checking out Judy's blog!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Nice work. I love applique, but don't have a lot of time for it lately.

Jennifer Woo said...

Love all your applique! Yep, it is the "A" word! Four of my eight blocks were sewn by last night(love the down time in front of the TV) and I have one with me at work today to start during lunch. I have both Florabunda large center block and Miss Kelly block taped and ready to mark for templates (have to do them from the back so the reverse leaves work) and will work on templates later hope to start them by weeks end. I spent my weekend pre-cooking dinner for at least two days so more time with my sewing and less time in the kitchen. BIG PAY-Off!!

Gari in AL said...

I avoided applique because I don't like hand work anymore (arthritis) but when I learned about machine applique I was hooked. I am also doing 4 BOMs and loving/complaining every minute of it. Love your Henrietta block 4.

AnnieO said...

I love handwork but have not attempted more than "primitive" applique for the most part. Your work looks lovely!