Monday, July 25, 2011

We're Back!!

 My last post was 2 weeks ago telling you I was embarking on my first cruise and our first trip to Alaska. I really missed reading about and looking at all the Design Wall Monday projects but our trip was fantastic and I was surprised I didn't miss my computer at all! I was also surprised that I didn't get one stitch into all those applique squares I'd prepared for the trip! We were busy every minute with tours and interesting things to do. Highlights of the trip: Mt. McKinley (Denali to Alaskan's) "was out" and we saw her in all her grandure. Only 1/3 of travelers there see the 20,239 foot mountain because it's usually clouded over. I'd never been so moved--she really took my breath away. I also saw a lot of wonderful totem poles and learn a lot about them--something I've always been interested in doing.

I wanted to do something special for the lovely couple who organized this 11-day trip for our group of 30 (15 ship cabins) which certainly took a lot of time and effort. Everything was splendid and all we had to do was "write a check". They live in Connecticut and collect pinecones (and not just the kind that fall from trees!) so when I saw this fabric in one of the 5 quilt shops I visited on the trip, I new I would make a purse for her and a charge-cord organizer for him.

Next weekend is the block exchange for my Calendar Girls group and I can't wait! It's a whole day of show-and-tell, a gift exchange, lunch and goodies and then the exchange of blocks. Here are a couple of the 8 blocks I made. The theme we chose last December was "North Woods Winter". It could be any 9 1/2" block that depicted winter but not Christmas. I won't put them all up so they can remain a surprise and I'll show you the blocks I ended up with in next week's DWM.

Thanks to our wonderful blogging friend, Judy Laquidara for giving us Patchwork Times, my favorite means of inspiration.

5 comments:

Jennifer Woo said...

Nice!! Love the Winter Wonderland blocks! They are going to look beautiful in a quilt!

LuAnn said...

I really hope to do that cruise someday. It sounds like you had a great time. If you put up a photo album, I'd like a link. Love your winter blocks.

Debbie said...

Your were so lucky to see Mt. McKinley! She is spectacular. So glad you were one of the lucky ones this summer!

Ava Louise said...

I love the purse. What a thoughtful gift I've been wanting to make up a similar pattern. Seeing yours finished inspires me.

Mary said...

Welcome back! I am so glad you had such a wonderful time.