Sunday, December 4, 2011

Orca Bay Clue #3 Progress

Thanks you Judy for giving us Patchwork Times, a great place to post our design walls and chat with quilters from all over the world!

I'm pretty amazed that I'm enjoying Bonnie Hunter's mystery quite as much as I am! After all, asking quilters to make nearly 650 multi-pieced components in the first 3 clues would be daunting to any quilter and I'm simply not used to this type of scrap quilting. BUT I'm absolutely loving this!

I had company this weekend and was so sure I would go completely crazy and not be able to work on clue #3 but things worked out really well--my cousin from South Lake Tahoe visited for 2 days and our plans included 3 craft fairs and a Holiday Home Tour in a spiffy part of Sacramento. And with all the chit-chatting we would do, when would there be time for sewing?! She was due around noon on Friday so I got to work early. I use half-square triangle paper to make my HSTs using 21 different purples and neutrals. I don't have strips on hand and would rather use larger pieces of fabric so this method works better for me. You might say, "but I hate tearing off that paper and cutting off the 'dog ears'" but I have time-saving tricks and if I told you it took me only 4 1/2 hours to make all 350 HSTs, would you think my method was time-consuming? The great thing about it was I was able to include an eager cousin in my process! She LOVED helping me with my 'project' and we tore off paper as we watched holiday movie DVDs. Win-Win!

Yes, by a little over an hour after my cousin left on Sunday morning, I was able to get them ALL finished. (actually, I miscalculated and made 380 HSTs--anyone need a few extra? They're purple!) In that little container in the lower right, I put the tiny dog-ears. Figure Bonnie will have something in mind for them! LOL!!

Next Friday, we're expecting about 50 people for a holiday party. Hope I can squeeze in at least a little sewing on Clue #4 that day so I won't go crazy!

11 comments:

Jennifer Woo said...

Wow, I am so impressed. I am passing on this project as I realized I am not insane and enjoying the process while I watch you do it! I can't wait to see it come together!

Sue Daurio said...

Wow 380 hsts in 4.5 hours? Thats like .71sec per hst! Now that is productive!

Unknown said...

Your blocks are great. Loving the colour. Can't wait for Friday, too! There sure are a lot of people joining in. I'm glad I did because I am having so much fun.

Cyn said...

WOWZER, that's a lotsa HSTs in such a short amount of time! Will you one day share with all of us HOW you do it? Sounds like it could be a good Tute idea.
Was fun visiting your blog...

Anonymous said...

Love that you were able to include your company in the process! Yup trimming those bits off sure makes a diff doesn't it?
~Jillian in ND

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Love the colors you are using and that is fantastic that you were able to make them that fast......I'm still plugging away!

Leeanne said...

Nice to see what you are doing, lovely fabrics. I will cross my fingers your visitors won't stay too long!!

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Wow , You got them finished quickly and they look great, Loving the purples!!

carolyn berroeta said...

Great work, I'm impressed. I will love seeing how it all comes together with your colors.

Sue H said...

I'm a big fan of Triangulations (print-it-yourself HST paper). I think using the paper is the most efficient, and it's so ACCURATE! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sue H.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Good job and such nice colors. I've never tried paper piecing them.