Monday, February 6, 2012

Selvage Bag

Do you save selvages from your fabric? I heard quilters were saving them to make pincushions and small zippered bags so I started doing so about a year ago. When I was at the fabulous Road 2 California quilt show last month, I saw a woman carrying a great bag made of selvages and decided I had to make one!

I found a pattern I really loved and some bright Alexander Henry stripe-y fabric (to go in the opposite direction of my selvages) and started making it right away. I'd post the pattern title for you but, truly, it is written so poorly (missing pattern pieces, other pattern pieces the wrong size) that I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting all the selvages centered and sewn together on a foundation just the way I wanted them took several hours and the bag construction took several more but I just love it! Hope it inspires you to save your selvages and make something out of them!



Thank you, as always Judy, for allowing us to show off our wares!

11 comments:

Amy said...

What a great bag! You'll be stopped by quilters every time you use it!

Judy D in WA said...

Fabulous bag! How frustrating to have a poorly written pattern.
Love how bright the inside is.

Jennifer Woo said...

Nice, love the bag!! I thought about saving the selvages several years ago but I just don't have the room!!

Nann said...

I have two big ziploc bags crammed with selvages--and a good start on a third such bag. I do like your tote....maybe "one of these days" will come around sooner than later!

Marj said...

Love your bag, the colors are wonderful. I feel your pain of working with a pattern that is not correct...lol. Glad you were able to get the bag done and have it turn out so good.

Dar said...

I LOVE your bag!! I want one too. I have plenty of selvages left over from 2 selvage quilts, but not a good shaped purse pattern yet to use. You did a great job. I love the insides and the pink zipper too. Nice wrok.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is fabulous!!! I love it!

Michelle said...

It's beautiful!

Diane said...

oh my I luv that bag. I don't save salvages but I may start!

LuAnn said...

I threw a small bag of selvages away about 6 months ago, and then I saw a great string quilt made entirely of selvages....so I'm saving again. I love the bags you made and the striped fabric is just perfect.

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a website it is! This blog presents helpful data to us, keep it
up.

Feel free to visit my weblog ... cccam pay server