Sunday, September 9, 2012

Another Finish




I'm on a roll! I finished my dresden plate table runner last week and a quilt this week! I won these blocks at a quilting retreat in June and plan to donate it to the next non-profit that asked me if I'd agree to "donate one of your pretty quits" for a silent auction, something that's quite popular in the community-oriented town I live in in northern California. All those who came to the retreat were asked to make a 10-inch "batik and white block" for a drawing and 25 people participated. Two winners got 12 blocks each and I was one of them!

Since I didn't have to make all the blocks, I thought I'd take the time to do some nice quilting on it and really like how it turned out.




 I do my quilting on a domestic machine, a Janome 6600. I bought it 4 years ago because I wanted a machine with more space at the 'neck' to quilting on larger quilts. For those of you who don't quilt your own quilts, I really urge you to try. Take a class in machine quilting and practice. And practice some more--it takes a long time to get really good at it but, like your momma always told you, whether it's a musical instrument or a dance routine or anything else, you'll never get really good if you don't practice. If I can do it, you can too. It's so rewarding to be able to make your own quilt from start to finish--then, it's all YOURS!  
Take a look on Judy's Design Wall Monday to see what everyone else have been accomplishing!

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your quilting looks great. I never would have guessed it was done on a domestic sewing machine.

Sue Daurio said...

Oh I just love the sashing on the blocks. Gives the quilt such great dimension. And the quilting is awesome!!

Jennifer Woo said...

STUNNING!! Can't wait to see it close up tomorrow night!