Friday, January 25, 2013

On My Needles

This is my first post on Judy Laquidara's "Patchwork Times" website under this theme. Why? Because I'm a quilter, not a knitter. At least until last week! I took the plunge (and Judy's challenge) and tried knitting a sock and had such success, I'm already certain I'm hooked on knitting socks!

So, I finished one sock and am on the second. . . only thing is, I'm going to run out of yarn that I probably bought 5 years ago. Since this was only going to be a 'learning' sock, I'm fine with the fact that the final 1/3 of the second sock will not match the first one--LOL!

Question for all you experienced knitters: I used thicker-than-sock-weight yarn with #3 DP needles for this pair casting on 40 stitches which was perfect. Now I want to try a sock weight yarn with #1 needles for the next pair. How do I figure out how many stitches to cast on and follow the great Staci Perry pattern I used? If I end up casting on 60 stitches for example, do I just increase each stitch number in the instructions like I would if I was increasing recipe ingredients? Thanks in advance for your help!

2 comments:

Sandie said...

Your pattern should tell you how many stitches to cast on for the weight of yarn that it is written for. Most patterns are only written for 1 yarn weight. An exception to this is the Charlene Schurch books, Sensational Socks, and the sequel, Even More Sensational Socks. If you get a copy of either of those books, you will have what you need to figure out how many stitches to cast on for the pattern you want, and then can choose a pattern in the book to follow when it comes time to shape the heel and toe. Hope this helped, good luck!

straythreads said...

that sock is so cute I would hang it for Christmas. knitting socks can be so addictive.