Monday, April 7, 2014

Another Lil' Twister

"Let's twist today, like we did last summer. . . ." LOL.


I just love the Lil' Twister ruler. I think they make great baby quilts using Charm Packs and donation quilts using Layer Cakes. I fell in love with the "Hubba-Hubba" line by Moda, bought a Charm pack and got to work. Some people think there's a lot of waste making these quilts, and I have to admit, there is quite a lot of "shrinkage" but I love them anyway. 

I started with 99, 5" blocks (44 of the Hubba Hubba and 45 of the polka dot background) and after sewing them together, ended up with the 41" x 50" top above. Then I got to cutting with the small Lil' Twister and after sewing together everything, ended up with this 30" x 37" top at the left--yeah, MUCH smaller--but cute as a button, don't you think? 

If you cut the "twists" very carefully, you end up with leftover pieces you can use in the border--in my case, over 100 2 1/2" squares! 

I'll add a few borders and maybe have them on in time for next week's Design Wall Monday. Better check Judy's blog and see!

8 comments:

Ramona said...

Your baby quilt is too cute! I made one twister quilt... a mini mini... and didn't really enjoy the process. It might have been because it was so small. Yours is great! And the colors are perfect for a baby quilt.

Kat Scribner said...

Awesome project!

Sue Daurio said...

Love it! That fabric is just perfect for the twister quilt!

Barb in Mi said...

Love it - just too cute!

Missy Shay said...

That looks so neat and what a great idea to use the leftovers for the border!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

CUTE baby quilt!! I am one of those who is not a big fan of the Twister Ruler - I don't like all of the bias edges. I prefer to cut the blocks as wonky 4-patches with straight edges - and I like having control over which color goes where - but then again - it's probably just me - ;))

Jennifer Woo said...

Love it!!! So cute and pretty. I did the Quilt Rush and the gift was black/white, white/black and colored 5 inch squares. I am laying out a Lil' Twister to make with all the squares!! Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I love this little quilt Diane....... Happy colors.
Cari J