Monday, August 4, 2014

Ironing Board Cover Challenge

It's been ages since I've posted and I'm sorry for that. We were traveling and I wasn't sewing so I didn't have anything new to post. Then, I sort of got out of the rhythm of posting--I'll bet you know how that goes.

So, I was checking out Judy's Design Wall Monday and found  the blog, Jo's Country Junction which issued an ironing board cover challenge! I can't tell you how long I've been wanting needing a new cover! About 5 years ago I bought a wonderful, extra-wide ironing board (at Costco) with an attached shelf for my iron. It's very sturdy and strong and I love it!
 The cover is now stained and has a couple of punctures that about to turn into rips to say nothing about the fusible web "oopsies". Try as I might, I couldn't find a cover to replace mine--they're all too small! I even called the company that made the ironing board but it's out of business.

Jo's blog was the "kick in the butt" I needed! Immediately after reading her blog, I went into my sewing room, pulled some fabric from my extensive stash, removed my dingy and tired cover and used it as a pattern (cut 3 1/2" wider all the way around), sewed a casing, inserted 3/8" elastic and put the new cover directly over the old (and wonderfully padded) one! Took less than an hour!! If I'd known it would only take that long and would be that successful, I'd have done it AGES ago!

Thank you, JO!!!

3 comments:

Charlene S said...

Beautiful!

Michelle said...

That looks so much nicer! I used staples for mine, since my ironing board was wooden and the last cover had been nailed on. And I really didn't want to do a casing.

Jo said...

Ya-hoo...Good for you!